Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First day of class

School

Today I went to my first class here at C of C, Philosophy of Race and Racism. Unsurprisingly, the class is taught by one of the black professors, Dr. Anthony Williams, and he's a really cool guy with a smooth Detroit accent and a good sense of humor. To my relief, he has high expectations but next to nothing in the way of rules; no strictly mandatory attendance, flexible deadlines, but still lots of assignments (we're expected to write at least thirteen papers this semester, between one and twelve pages depending on the topic). One thing that does worry me a mite is that there are four required books for this class, but my broke self should be able to afford them just fine online, seeing that they're just regular books I could find at Books-a-Million, not expensive textbooks. The cost of buying so many books aside, I look forward to reading from so many different perspectives.

Unfortunately, this was my only class for Tuesday, so to balance my schedule I went to the Addlestone Library and read the American Philosophical Quarterly (Vol. 47, No. 1, if you care). There was this absurd article about First Person Privilege that argued that there is nothing that can be felt by a person that cannot be observed by someone else, and that first and third person perspectives are essentially the same. Or at least that's what I got out of it, honestly I didn't follow the author's logic too carefully, it seemed to take particularly irrelevant issues far more seriously than need be. The thought and devotion that goes into the craft of arguing for or against the metaphysical absurdity of part-time zombies is baffling, but it's all still great fun and I'll probably be spending the rest of the week making up an absurdist argument against (or rather, to annoy) the entire field of epistemology.


Work

Good news, Harris Teeter might hire me to work in the deli at night. There's definitely an opening and I seem to be the only person to specifically inquire. I'll go and follow up whenever I have the chance, which will probably take a while. My schedule is pretty packed until Thursday, and even then I have a bit of stuff going on.

I did rather want to work in a hotel, but honestly the sandwich making skills I can learn in a deli probably totally trump whatever professional connections I could make in a hotel. Not to mention deli slicers, which are the culinary equivalent of table saws, which are awesome.


Life

I've pretty much covered everything  for today. Alex lent me his noir novel, Lucky at Cards by Lawrence Block. I haven't even started it yet though because I fell asleep shortly after he handed it to me. I needed the sleep so I've no regrets.

Alex and I are having a party on Saturday, mostly for everyone to meet new friends and introduce their friends to their friends friends and all that social networking stuff. I'll try to invite one or two of my classmates, assuming I'm lucky enough to even get in a conversation with anybody in the first place. I'll do fine, I'll make friends and I'll do well here.