Friday, August 13, 2010

A sweaty day indeed

School

Nothing of note has been afoot, but allegedly all my financial matters are in order. No way to tell for sure except to wait for something catastrophic to happen.


Work

Job hunting went off to a bad start when I misremembered my directions and ended up walking all the way down to the aquarium. Sweating like a horse and unwilling to brave the outdoor public water fountains, I wandered, dazed from dehydration, into a few private docks until I nearly walked into the side of a moving truck, which sobered me up just enough to get oriented. My bearings in order, I stumbled home and downed a half-gallon of water.

But the day was not a complete loss. Shortly after I got back and started reading Hark, a Vagrant, my roommate, who will henceforth be known as Alex, asked me to go with him to pick up a package I ordered. I have my packages delivered to his P.O. box because at the present I don't trust my neighborhood completely enough to let anything more than bills and greeting cards be delivered to my door (the dented, stripped frame of a bicycle locked to my fire stairs serves as a permanent warning to all who get a little too trusting). While we were out, we dropped by the financial assistance office for Alex to deal with his own loan troubles, and while I was in the area, I decided to drop in Barnes & Noble to follow up on my application. The tall, friendly gent at the front desk said he'd review my application and, four minutes later, told me I can probably start working on Thursday. It's just a rush job, and there's next to no chance I'll be staying on board longer than a couple weeks, but a couple weeks will tide me over until my bills and other dangerous things start coming in, and I'll have time to get a real steady job that accommodates for my student schedule.


Life

Remember that package I said I ordered? It was an HDMI cable so that I can hook my computer up to my TV. Once we got home, Alex and I pulled up YouTube on the big screen and watched Sex Bomb.