Tuesday, September 28, 2010

First day of work

    For the one or two of you following this to check up on my studies, I did go to class and it was still a bit of a waste of time. After a certain number of weeks race discussion kind of boils down to the same four or five arguments sequentially invalidating each other, like rock-paper-scissors. In turn I basically have nothing original to do and certainly no hope for infallibility. By the end of the semester at least I might come up with something brilliant and original, but for my first paper (due on Thursday) I'm just writing off of the suggested topics list.
    After class I was just sitting outside of Simons waiting until I could begin work, and Robert came and offered to buy me lunch so I wouldn't be working empty. I really hate being broke right now. I really appreciate the favors but I feel so in debt. At least we're all friends and there's nothing formal and nobody keeping score. I really appreciated him doing that much, I felt really good having some meat in my system for the day.
    Well, I got to work exactly on time, and got on board immediately cleaning the shop. For those who didn't know (I can't imagine who since everyone who reads this is friends with me on Facebook), I work for the Theater department in the scene shop. It's a really nice workshop with lots of nice saws. I feel really comfortable there; there's not always enough work for me to perfectly squeeze in, but everyone's pretty relaxed and when there is work it's fun stuff that involves power tools in some capacity. My first job after helping clean up a bit was to cut out a set decoration with a jigsaw. I've never used a jigsaw before, and my cut wasn't perfect, but it was really fun and felt good to use.
    After that, I slept, and when I woke up, tried to help Robert put up his wall again. turns out that he didn't bring the staple gun because of something I said. Confusion sucks. We tried tape, it failed, we gave up.