Monday, September 20, 2010

Worries and solutions

    This morning well before my classes start I dropped by the post office as soon as it opened. About three weeks ago a fiasco began where the post office began forwarding and reforwarding my mail ad apparent infinitum. This is particularly important because it was my SS card (social security, not Schutzstaffel), and I can't legally start working my scene shop job without it (something to do with workers compensation and their liability). This whole missing card problem is singly responsible for a great deal of lost wages, so this is a bit of a beef I've been gaining with the local post office. Last week it appeared at my family's house, so they responsibly gave it priority shipping with tracking confirmation to ensure that it not only was sent quickly to me, but very directly as well. Well, the 2-3 business days passed by and I didn't receive so much as a note, so I checked the tracking information this weekend and found an alleged note was left on Friday. Suspecting a mix-up, I asked the folks in the downstairs apartment, who insisted they haven't gotten any mail in my name. This case was starting to become very mysterious indeed.
     So back to this morning, to solve the great mystery of the missing mail I headed straight to the source. After arriving promptly at 9 in the morning, I told them my situation, and asked them if they could tell me what happened. I ended up spending the next hour waiting at the desk while they scoured the entire building looking for my bright-red envelope. No luck, it was probably taken out again today by the carrier, and I would have to come back tomorrow if I didn't receive it. With assurance that they would resolve the issue as soon as the mailman returned, I headed out, already late for my 10'o'clock class. With all the stress that came with the morning, along with worrying over the weekend, I took to bed.
    With the power of inertia, I successfully excused myself from leaving the house for nearly the whole rest of the day. At 4:30 I dragged myself up from my nap to finally get ready to start my day for my 5'o'clock World History class, still exhausted. For the first time in weeks, the lecture was not on Egypt. Finally, eight classes into a course with only 13 classes, we have begun to mention the ancient Minoans.
    After class again I chatted with Yuki, and ended up following her to the library, where we both bumped into Yuki. I got on one of the computers and found that I had a message from an unfamiliar name on Facebook. Someone had my mail! Thanks to the internet, one responsible citizen was able to achieve what a half-dozen postal workers could not: Bring me my mail. For all the flack it gets for hurting privacy and consuming lives, Facebook isn't such a bad tool after all.
    Now that everything is settled and fixed, I can sleep easy. Which I'm about to go do.